Saturday, January 12, 2013

Roadtrippin' to California: Day 1

I'm not even gonna start out being all, "whoa it's been a while" cause...well, duh. It's pretty obvious.
So just look at the date of my last blog, be in shock at how long it's been, and there ya go, we're all caught up.

Ryan and I left Philadelphia this afternoon to start making our way to our new home in California. It was surprisingly bitter-sweet. MANY tears were cried last night, but that was only because I nanny (well, nannied...so sad to say that) the most wonderful child on the planet and I had to say goodbye to that family yesterday. I literally walked in the door to our empty apartment, ran to the bathroom and sobbed. I am going to miss that boy so so much. Thankfully we had a wonderful last day together, and his parents planned a little goodbye party for all of us. It was a very, "don't be sad it's over, be happy it happened" type of deal, which is totally not my normal tune. But I was all for anything that would make the goodbyes easier. Especially when it involves a 2 year old proposing a toast with sparkling apple cider. "To all of us! Cheers!"

But after that goodbye, it was about 85% sweet and 15% not-quite-bitter-but-something-a-little-less-harsh. We were both sad to leave our apartment. We had a great place there and we'll miss it and look back at it fondly. But leaving the city? Leaving Filthadelphia? The City of Brotherly Shove? Where trashcans are optional and the sidewalk is an acceptable stand-in for a toilet? That was nice. That felt good. SEE YA PHILLY! It was a strange feeling, looking at all the skyscrapers and being like, "I lived there. This is all familiar to me." I guess change is always kind of strange. But in this case, is so so good.

So today our final destination was Pittsburgh.
Our first stop was to walk part of the abandoned Pennsylvania Turnpike. I got wrong directions from practically the only website that gives you detailed directions on how to get there. So we ended up driving 10 miles east, when we should have been going west. Ugh. It's not really a big deal because Ryan and I get lost EVERYWHERE, so we're used it by now. But it was especially sucky, because it wasn't our fault this time. But we eventually made our way there.
[Don't you worry though, I already emailed the website creator and told him he needs to fix that typo. It's a rather important one.]
We got to walk in some snow!! Haven't done that since February 2011!











One of us especially loved the walk on the abandoned turnpike

Next was the World's Largest Coffee Pot. Unfortunately, we left the city an hour later than we wanted to and then getting lost added quite a bit of time to our journey, so by this time it was dark out. But we still saw it. And really liked it.



And our last stop, Gravity Hill!! I've never been to one of these before, but I've always wanted to go. It's where you stop at the bottom of a hill, put your car in neutral and then roll up-hill. It was pretty cool. We actually got up to 10mph rolling up that little hill. Crazy crazy.


Ahhh, so looking forward to seeing the rest of this crazy country! Stay tuned for a couple more updates from the road!

4 comments:

  1. What an exciting adventure! What did y'all do/see in Pgh? I am sorry you got lost on that trail. What a bogey! I love Pittsburgh (although not always the weather). I hope you weren't too bitter toward it when y'all got lost;) And I have always wanted to check out Gravity Hill. I always think we will do it our way home coming from the east but we just want to get home. What are you next stops?

    Alyson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your post. You are soooo much like me. I can't tell you how many times I have gone to my closet and cried my eyes out. I don't want or need to be comforted I just want to be alone to cry and get it all out and then I am better. Glad you were able to do that. You are visiting spots that would be on my list too. Just weird little quirky things that would be neat to see. Love the gravity spot. Can't wait to see what else awaits. Love you, mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uh whoa, I've been slacking on reading your blog! You already up and moved? I thought you were coming to MI first well Ryan was doing boot camp. But I never talk with you which is my own fault, so I'm not always up on the news. And I don't blame you for wanting to road trip all the way to Cali first.

    Loved the first paragraph. Sums that business up perfectly.

    Your so cool in planning neat off the beaten path stops during your trip. Fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darn, two mis-spellings and one has to be a Your instead of You're. Geez.

    ReplyDelete