Wednesday, April 4, 2012

bragging rights

I need to take a minute to just brag about Ryan. Because I know he won't do it for himself, and the kid deserves some serious recognition.
Ryan studies so much. Like SO MUCH. He's at his rotation all day and then comes home, eats dinner with a 30 minute tv-show break and then gets to studying until bed time (generally around midnight.) Day after day. It's insane. And yes, I miss him a lot and wish we could spend more time together. But most of the time those feelings are pushed aside because I'm so incredibly proud of him. For sticking with it, night after night of studying. Day after day of dealing with either extremely conceited attendings or the been-in-healthcare-too-long-and-now-I-hate-everyone type of preceptors.
One time, he was diagnosing children in his sleep and it made my heart hurt. That his brain couldn't even rest during those little hours of sleep he gets a night.

But you know why he really needs some recognition?

Ryan got a 4.0 this past semester!! All A's!!!
I screamed when he told me. And gave some serious high-fiveage.
And told him to pick where he wanted to go for dinner that night...'cause we were going out baby!!

We headed over to Percy Street BBQ (which happens to be on our Philly Bucket List.)


I'm not a huge BBQ fan. I'll eat it sometimes, but it's rare. (Actually, there was a place near Grand Valley that Ryan and I used to go to a lot and get BBQ. We had perfected our own special mixture of sauces. It was super good. And then they closed down. Sad story.) So I got the mac n' cheese and some sweet potatoes. The mac n' cheese was super good. Super, super, super good. Sweet potatoes...meh. I'll take a sweet potato with butter and cinnamon/brown sugar over those anyday.

Ryan got some type of  BBQ'ed meat sandwich. He liked it. Too smoky for me, I was glad I didn't spring for some meat in hopes that I'd like it.
Mr. 4 point O

And then...for dessert...we split a Rootbeer Float and a slice of Mud Pie. Oh my word. I took a bite of that pie and died and went to heaven. Where everything tastes like happiness and looks like swirly lollipops. It was...inexplicably good. I can't even. I have no words.

Turns out Percy Street BBQ won the Best of Philly award for their pies. Psh. No surprise there.
Next time, I want to try the Key Lime.

3 comments:

  1. Good job Ryan. All your hard work is paying off. I am reliving the proud moment of your white coat ceremony. Feels good. You deserve a whole bunch of high fives coming your way. Nan, I will try and save you a piece of one of the 3 Key lime pies I bought frozen from Randy's fish market down here. They were rated #1 down here and they are FAB!!! Funny, I do not like BBQ either and love key lime pie....imagine that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy, you are incredible, I have no idea how Ryan got so lucky. We love you guys so much and are so proud of both of you. Well done Ryan! On the Grade and choosing so well your wife.

    Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete