Friday, July 20, 2012

philly bucket list: ryan's surprise date

Shortly after we moved to Philly, I started following a blog of a girl who lived here. She posted about this mini-Philly-golf course one time, and I knew instantly that I wanted to take Ryan on a date there at some point.
This was probably a year ago.
Well, I can proudly say WE FINALLY WENT THERE!
And I kept it a secret the whole time! I'm not really sure why I wanted it be a secret, surprise date. I just did. More fun that way, I guess.

The mini-golf-course is set up to look like Philadelphia. They have all the major landmarks...Independence Hall, the Art Museum, Benjamin Franklin Bridge, the LOVE sign, etc. We were really impressed with all the little details.

The mini-row houses were really cute, and a great example of those little details! Can you see the rowers in the water in front of them?
The actual row houses are right on the outskirts of the city aka Boathouse Row. Each house belongs to a different rowing club, and they are all lit up at night (they are especially beautiful around Christmas time!) They have races nearly every weekend from Spring to the end of fall, and you can always see people out in the river practicing and warming up for them.

My favorite was mini-Elfreth's alley. Elfreth's Alley is the longest residentially-inhabited neighborhood in America. It's freaking ADORABLE and most definitely one of my favorite places in Philly. So naturally, it had to be my favorite while playing mini-Philly-golf as well!

Ryan's favorite was the mini-Friendship Gate from Chinatown! Philadelphia received the gate/arch as a gift from "our" sister city Tianjin, China. It is made entirely of interlocking wood pieces! And the vibrant red on it was achieved by painting partially with bull's blood!

It was really fun and like I said, we were really impressed with this place!
Plus, can you tell that we went on a tour of the city when we first moved here? We received two tickets for a double-decker hop-on/hop-off bus tour of Philadelphia for a wedding present! What a great idea, right?! Obviously, I retained a lot of knowledge from it. Hahaha. But I've also forgotten a lot of it too, which you can witness if you come to visit us and I give you a tour. A lot of it will be informational and a lot of it will be like, "Uh...this building was something important at some point. It was like...the headquarters of something or someone cool lived there. Moving on."



Currently playing on the record player: Nothing. All is quiet in the Smith household tonight. Maybe I should put something on just to spice up this post a bit ;)

2 comments:

  1. Looks like fun and a super cute place!! mom smith

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so cute. I love your outfits and your bangs. I will never be as cute as you. And doing surprise dates! That is super cute too.

    ReplyDelete