Thursday, September 20, 2012

me, myself and i [september]

Hey-o, time for another edition of Me, Myself and I. The timing couldn't be better because my mind is a complete blank when it comes to coming up with post ideas, as I'm just returning from yet another trip to Michigan for a wedding. Holy mother of pearl, I'm so happy to be done with weddings for a while. And driving home to Michigan. Not that I've ever claimed to be an awesome road-trip partner or anything, but the drive almost killed me this time. It wasn't even 2 hours before I was literally yelling, "I HATE THIS STUPID DRIVE!! I'M NEVER GOING TO MICHIGAN AGAIN!!"

So...moving on.
1. When you're feeling down, what do you do to pick yourself up?
Treat myself with a chocolate bar while doing something crafty. Trader Joe's easily has the best chocolate bars I've ever had. I'm in love with the dark chocolate truffle and the dark chocolate caramel with black sea salt ones.
Or I bake. A lot. Which could be trouble when Ryan leaves for Officer Development School for six weeks. I should probably warn him that he'll probably return to me 30 pounds heavier. I'm screwed if he ever gets deployed.
 
2. If you had to live in a different time period, which would you prefer?
Growing up, I really wanted to live in the 50s. Like really wanted to live in the 50s. Now I would probably say the 60s. Film photography (I could own the original Diana camera!) Beautiful Volkswagen vehicles. The Beatles. Twiggy. It's all great business. I would live in California and be friends with the "The Endless Summer" surfers. (Have you seen that movie? I always saw posters for it in friends' rooms in college, but had never seen the movie. It's a documentary from the 60s following 2 surfers who follow summer around the world, looking for some great surf. Ryan and I recently watched it and looooved it. The narrator is super funny too! And it got us both excited to learn to surf in California!)

3. What is the most creative Halloween costume you've ever worn?
Well my little sister and I were the Bananas in Pajamas in elementary school. Which is clearly awesome. But I would have to say the most creative would have to be one of the two group costumes I did with some of my college roommates for the annual campus ministries roller skating Halloween party. 
Our first year we went as Mario Kart characters because we were all obsessed with playing Mario Kart (and Doctor Mario...seriously, best game ever!) But we went all out. We seriously looked awesome. We even won 1st place for best costume. Which got us all a whopping $5 gift certificate to Meijer. Everyone else got like $20. Psh. Not like I'm still bitter about it 6 years later or anything.
We even made weapons, just didn't have them for this pic. You know the
usual mushroom, lightning bolt, bananas and the ever-coveted triple turtle shell.
The second year we went as Goldilocks and the 3 bears. Which was more creative than the first, but didn't get as much recognition unfortunately. But we had a great time. One of the girls and I got together one night to make all the bear stuff, and locked ourselves in the garage while painting everything with brown spray paint. Terrific idea. Another terrific idea: painting masks that would be over our faces all night. Made breathing a very difficult task.

4. Five weird things about you we wouldn't know without being told? 
1. I almost caused my little sister to drown when we were little. I threw a toy in the deep end of our pool but was too afraid to go get it, so I undid the rope that divided the shallow end from the deep end and told my sister to go get it. And she did. And then started to drown.
My dad was working on building the deck at the time, so he was in sight but was talking at the time. I calmly tried to get his attention. "Dad, Julie's drowning...Dad, Julie's drowning..." I had to say it several times before he actually heard me and jumped in the pool and saved her. Sorry Jules!
2. I really wished I liked tomatoes. No matter how hard I try I can't eat them. I just end up gagging.
3. I thoroughly enjoy being alone. I thrive in my alone time. And I get so worked up before anything social, my stomach ends up in knots. Social anxiety, much? You'd never know it though, I hide it well (I think.)
4. Every time I see a Honda Fit I say, "The Fit is go."
5. I hate eating Asian food (well Americanized Asian food.) Especially in restaurants. Mostly because I can't stand the sight of most men eating it. It's borderline barbaric and it disgusts me.
"Oh here, let me slurp all these saucy noodles into my
mouth and appear super attractive and civilized."
Am I right, or am I right?
5. What would you tell your 16-year-old self?
I really loved high school, I was living life and was super happy at that time. I didn't make any dumb mistakes...I stayed away from drugs and alcohol, I saved a lot of money, I go home before curfew. I had a mentor who changed my life, and I still look up to her today. I was a good kid, and I wouldn't change anything about that.
Little ol' me at my high school job.
But I was a brat to my parents (as I suspect most teenagers are.) So I would tell myself to appreciate my parents more. Listen to them, respect them, learn from them, thank them often, fight less with them :)
Guess it's never too late to thank your parents though...so thanks Mom and Dad!! I've come to really understand how INCREDIBLY lucky I am (and my sisters are) to have been raised by you two. You both showed us all extreme and unconditional love, disciplined us appropriately and out of love, blessed us with much but still were sure to teach us the value of a dollar and the importance of generosity, and set forth a great example of a godly marriage for all of us to follow! Thank you for being so supportive and sticking with me through my bratty years :)

Currently playing on the record player: The Doobie Brothers "Minute By Minute"


4 comments:

  1. Oh man, I am totally with you on the social anxiety! It only manifests itself in certain situations though. I actually threw up once because of it. Anyway, great post :-) I could comment on a million things but ill leave it at that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha....Banana's in Pajamas....I will NEVER forget that one!! Thanks so much for the thankful blurb to Dad and I. It means a lot. I was just sharing with Aunt Lori over the week-end about all you girls and your "bratty years" and how to help her get through them. I guess I made a comment to her a few years back when Alex was just entering that phase about not taking their comments personally, don't let them get to the core of your heart. She said that has helped her out soooo much. She will make it through just as I did. But really thank you Nan for the nice comments. I am happy you feel that way. You are a fabulous daughter :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate tomatoes too. I even put it on my Year 32 list last year to learn to like them (seemed like a grown up thing to do) and I just couldn't go through with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and those Halloween pictures are awesome. brand new to me.

      Delete