Sunday, July 5, 2009

Fried Green Tomatoes...er, Grasshoppers



I had quite the eventful afternoon yesterday...it's not a very exciting story, but it ends with arriving "home" at 6:30. SIX THIRTY!!! My shift was done at 3:30. Ugh! But, to make the trip home somewhat exciting, I decided to finally buy some fried grasshoppers from someone selling on the side of the road. We paid 200 schillings per spoonful and got 5 spoonfuls. Which was more than enough for all of us (20 or so) to eat many.

Now, earlier in my blog, I had mentioned how the grasshoppers here were about 4 inches long. Which they are. However, the fried ones are much smaller. Before the grasshoppers are fried, their wings and legs are plucked off and their wings make up most of their body length. So the ones I ate were only about an inch long.

We (my roommates and I) brought them up for dinner to share with everyone as an after-dinner treat. After finishing our meal, we began to pass the bag around for everyone to take a look/whiff of our dessert. Just as we were about to dig-in, a live grasshopper flies through the window!! At the guesthouse that Jenna and I were staying at initially, there were bugs EVERYWHERE (mainly grasshoppers.) But here, I have only seen 2 cockroaches. A couple
of nights ago, I was telling one of my roommates, Evie, how thrilled I was to not have to see grasshoppers anymore. Sure enough, the moment we are about to crunch into a grasshopper, one comes to haunt me.

Goodness. Needless to say, I freaked out. We had to move our little adventure to the balcony off of my (well, our) room. Anyways, the grasshoppers were pretty good. They tasted kind of like
shrimp...or grease. Hahaha. They weren't nasty though. I actually ate quite a few.

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe you did it!

    Can't wait to see you when I get back from Haiti. Save some stories and some pics!

    ReplyDelete