Tuesday, March 15, 2011

mock thin mints

Like everyone and their mom, I love thin mints. But we didn't get girl scout cookies this year. And my craving for thin mints has been getting worse and worse.
So I did something about it.
I whipped up what I affectionately call, "mock thin mints"

They're ridiculously easy, and I'm sure there are better "recipes" out there for a thin mint taste-alike, but I wanted something easy. And something fast. (I don't classify this as a recipe because they're that easy)
Here's what I did:
1. You'll need graham crackers (I wanted the chocolate graham crackers, but the store didn't have those), semi-sweet chocolate chips, PEPPERMINT extract and chocolate frosting. The frosting is optional. But I've learned that if frosting is ever optional, the right option is to use it.


2. Spread a thin layer of frosting on the graham crackers. Lick the knife afterwards. Duh.
I broke our crackers into quarters, you could do it smaller if you want to get more of a thin mint size.


3. Melt a small amount of the chocolate chips. I only had one full graham cracker (so 4 little cookies) to cover. Don't melt too much, or else you'll have a lot left over. And then you'll have to just lick that sucker clean. I know, life is tough sometimes.


3b. Look at this little guy and tell him he's the cutest puppy you ever did see. Because he is. And also because he has low self esteem and needs to be told that every hour or so.
I made that last part up.
He just happens to be by my side 24/7 so he hears it often.
Hahaha, loooove those ears.

4. Add a few drops of peppermint extract. Be sure to use peppermint. Not mint.
[One time Ryan and I made ice cream with mint extract and it tasted like frozen toothpaste. It was nasty. Actually, it's probably still in our freezer.]
If you add too much extract, the chocolate gets all bumpy and un-spreadable. That's what I did. And that's why my cookies look like crap (you'll see)

5. Spread that chocolate all over the graham crackers. Top. Bottom. Sides. Yum.
See. My cookies look terrible. I added too much extract, so my chocolate became really thick and I had a hard time spreading it evenly.

6. Place them in the freezer for a bit.

7. Enjoy. With a cold glass of milk.

3 comments:

  1. ummmm, yum!
    and that dog, i can't get over the ears :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the cute doggie post in the middle. Are you ADD? Your thin mints look good. I would have to come up with a less fattening way to make them because EVERYTHING I eat has been turning to fat lately. Bummer. We have two boxes of GS cookies in the freezer at home (Brooklyn put them there for us) but I can't remember what kind they are. Now I am hoping they are thin mints :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry Mom, but I think you got lemon ones and some other reject kind that none one else orders. But I'm sure they'll be good. If you don't want them, you won't have a hard time finding someone who will.

    Nance- I love you. Your posts are so entertaining in the way I have a hard time entertaining others on my blog. Licking chocolate, heck ya! Who cares if your cookies looked nasty, its all about how they taste. Were they good?

    Your dog is so sweet- being said not as "awe, sweet", but "wicked sweet awesome".

    ReplyDelete