Wednesday, March 9, 2011

what we did in philly: sister edition

Hi, my name is Nancy and I sometimes neglect my blog.

There. Now that that is out of the way, we can move onto more important things.

My younger sister, Julie, is visiting for the week for her spring break. The week is already half over, but we've had so much fun and done a lot of things.

We went to the Art Museum...

View of the city from the entrance to the museum (the clouds were very low, we couldn't even see the tops of some of the buildings)

I painted a picture in 5th grade, with this Van Gough as my inspiration, which my Grandpa treasured and hung in his kitchen for years. Oh and also, I really liked my outfit.

...and forgot an umbrella. So we arrived back home looking like we had jumped into a pool fully clothed.
Attractive. We know.

We went to Rittenhouse Square and then did some shopping.

Dear Anthropologie, I would very much appreciate it if you would lower your prices by, say, I don't know, 75%. Also, it'd be nice to live in one of your stores. Rent free.

We took the typical tourist pictures at Love Park. And admired the beauty of City Hall (have I mentioned how much I love City Hall?)



I took her to see the Liberty Bell (or as the Chamberlin clan refers to it: Llliiiiiiiibbbbbbbeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrttttttteeeeeee Bbbbbbbbbeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllllllllllllllllll), Independence Hall, Christ Church (where Ben Franklin is buried), Elfreth's Alley, Betsy Ross' house, the first post office, and my favorite vintage stores.









We went to the U.S. Mint to watch coins being made.
And that was a waste of time.
Then we rushed through the Federal Reserve money exhibit to get a free bag of shredded money.
Why? Because it's in our blood to want free and useless things.

We had Philly Cheesesteaks (wid onions) at Jim's.


Annnnnd, that's been our week so far! Typical sights of Philly. Except for my favorite vintage stores, that's a personal touch added by me.

A note to future visitors: my sister was our first visitor, and therefore got the pleasure of having a personal tour with me as her guide. Don't expect to get as good of a tour, because we've seen the city enough times now and it's gets pretty expensive, pretty fast.

4 comments:

  1. Julie- I really love your hair.

    I thought that the VanGogh painting was actually your painting Nan before I read about it. Do you have it? Or does Mom?

    Free shredded money- I'd be in line too.

    When you give us a tour of the city, I'll pay for ya. (nothing against you Julie, just saying) I hope to visit someday too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That picture under the bell is really weird. I don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, you must not have seen my Van Gough rendition very recently, Em. I think Grandmommy has it now? And the picture under the Liberty Bell is of Independence Hall. It's been under construction for a long time now, but they put an image of the tower outside of the scaffolding so that you can still see what it looks like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. well...we would like a personal tour too so we will also pay :) I have given Ryan a few dates but he does not know yet so....still waiting to see when we are coming. I also liked your outfit AND Julie's hair.

    ReplyDelete