Wednesday, February 1, 2012

ryan's birfday present.

This past summer, Ryan saw a basic painting of a bike at the art fair in our neighborhood park. It was $800, so we looked at it for a total of 25 seconds. As we were walking away, I was like, "I could totally paint that. And then we could still eat this year." So Ryan told me that's what he wanted for his birthday.

But he forgot about that. I couldn't believe that he couldn't guess what I was getting him. That might have something to do with the fact that I'm the best guesser in the whole wide world, but seriously? How can you not guess it when you specifically told someone what you wanted 8 months ago?

I think it turned out pretty nice. I didn't get the reaction I was expecting from Ryan, but he has reassured me that he likes it. It's hanging above his desk, so I guess that counts as liking it.
Isn't he the cutest PA student you ever did see?
I make a pretty mean stylist, as well, if I do say so myself.


Painting is my favorite craft. I enjoy sewing and now knitting, but whenever I paint...I just...really love it. When I was little, my dad found a small newspaper clipping behind my bed. It was a classified ad for art lessons. He asked me what it was, why I had it...I said, "It's my dream." So he signed me up for art lessons (what a great dad) and it's stuck with me ever since. Even before that I always loved my art class...There's a picture of me and my childhood best friend carrying a painting of a butterfly I made onto our bus after Kindergarten. And my grandfather had a picture I painted in 5th grade hanging in his kitchen for years. I mean YEARS. [That meant the world to me, too]
You know when people say when you do what you love for a living, you're not really working? Well in my case, that would be painting.

2 comments:

  1. I'm surprised by this painting jazz. I mean, I knew we were alike, but I didn't know the paint thing too. Are you sure you're right handed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh duh- AND.. nice painting! I bet it looks great on the wall

    ReplyDelete