Sunday, May 17, 2009

This was SUPPOSED to be "From My Eyes"


I had a nice long blog typed out in a Word document, and then brought that to this internet cafe to find out that these computers don't have Microsoft word!!! So frustrating!!!
I have been working with the Monkey room for the past few days. This is ages 3-6 months. At first, I didn't like it there because I was used to the activeness of the Zebras. But after a day, I loved it!!! One of my days, I just took some pictures from "my view" so you all could see some of things I see on a daily basis. But, this computer is taking waaaaay too long to upload pictures!! Which is a bummer, hopefully some days it'll be faster so that I can show you some pictures.

Here are some stories that went along with my pictures though:

I got one picture to load...that is Liam. He is in the Monkey room and obviously is absolutely adorable!!! He's one of my "faves" I'm trying not to have faves, but it kind of just happens. How cute is he?!

I thought I was afraid of crickets and grasshoppers in America. OH BOY! The grasshoppers here (what I saw in the dining room, which I mentioned in my last post) are about four inches long. They are massive!! And they are everywhere! I see at least 20 a day, if not more! I had a funny conversation with a man who works at the guest house about them, in which I learn that they also fly and most Ugandans eat them. Our taxi driver, Robert, told us that they are 5000 shillings for one bug (about $2!!! That's expensive for a bug!) but that they are very good. I might try one. We'll see.

I had some adorable pictures of the babies in the monkey room. So far...I am just wanting to take a few home with me :) But I'm sure that will change as I move rooms every few days for these first two weeks. I really wish I could show you their adorable faces!! Sigh...

Jenna and I had a hilarious experience with a lizard in our room. Oh boy!! I won't elaborate on the whole story but basically we had to sleep with knowing that there was a lizard somewhere in our room because after it ran away from us we couldn't find it. We got a guy to get it out of our room in the morning, but I just saw "it" again this morning. So we shoved toilet paper in the crack we thought it was coming from. And then we realized it was more than just one. We named the initial one Lizzy (we figure once you name something it becomes a pet, and no longer frightening). We'll see if we end up with more in our room or not. Haha.

Sorry there are no pictures. I know text isn't very interesting.

Prayer Requests: Jenna and I would continue to get along great, we would have the chance to bond with the other volunteers, and (again) we would continue to have the strength and energy to show God's love to these babies each and everyday

8 comments:

  1. Jenna and I had a rat friend in our room in the Dominican... I think I would much rather have Lizzy :-). Love the stories, you guys are in my thought and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your text is not boring. You could never share too much for me. Pictures would be nice but I like hearing from you and reading about your experiences non the less. Dad and I cannot believe you are tolerating the "critters" there. God is doing a mighty work with that!! Aunt Becky had a mouse run across her lap while she was driving down the road!!! She freaked and then put Uncle Jim to work "demousing" her vehicle. I think she will always think she is riding with a mouse in her car, just like you and all your "lizzies" in your room :) Keep up the good work. Love hearing from you.
    love you,
    mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep trying to guess what time it is where you are and then I just noticed that there is a clock on you blog. Bomb d. Yeah way to go with the bugs. I'm so proud of you. You are certainly more brave than I am. Dan and I are praying for you guys!!!! Enjoy the cute babies : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, reading is just as good as pics. It's great to hear anything about what is going on while you are half way around the world. I can't believe that you can just hop on the internet and so easily share whats going on- crazy really. I wish I had a lizard in my room : ) but heck no to the grasshoppers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. NANCY!
    I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN about the grasshoppers!
    I didn't eat a grasshopper, but hopefully you get to experience the flying termites =) i think the termite would have tasted better had we not tried to cook them, thus burning them.

    i miss you at ferris! and in life! you will definitely be in my prayers. SMILE you have AFRICA in your lungs again =)

    Betty Sue

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nancy-I can't believe you said you might eat a grasshopper-and you know what I'm thinking of :)
    This week I'm praying that you will adjust to your surroundings and that God will show you something new. Love you, Kim Smith

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh, and also i love you a LOT, sandwich. in fact, i am quite hungry for a nansandwich. but i can wait till july to have one. =) love you! keep blogging, i love reading it. :)

    ReplyDelete