Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Three Days Down, Sixty to Go

So...I forgot to mention how I was so lucky to get a business class seat to Uganda. I don't want people who donated money to my trip to think that I used that money to buy a buisness class seat. My parents' contribution to my trip was to pay for my flights to and from Uganda. There was only one seat available on all the flights to Uganda during the week I was to leave, and that seat happened to be in business class. LUCKY ME!!!

Today was my third day at Baby Watoto (or The Bulrushes, or the Baby Home, I'll probably call it all three). So far, it has been absolutely wonderful!! Currently, they have 90 babies there, but there is a "move" scheduled for the next month, when the older kids will go to the village. After that, there will probably be 70 babies left. I've been working in the Zebra room, which is made up of babies who are ages 9 months - about a year and a half. They have 17 babies in that room, I think. I'm getting to know most of their names, but I'm not even close to knowing the names of all the babies! There are 10 other volunteers here, 6 of them are girls my age.

Jenna arrived safely, ish, this morning. She was fine, but just had a rough trip. It's good to have a friend and familar face here :) We have orientation tomorrow.

So far, I have killed three bugs. All on my own. And last night, I shared the dining room with a bug about the size of my palm...with huge legs. Jenna and I saw it again outside our window, and we decided that it is in fact, not a bug but a small animal. It's digusting. But I feel safe within my mosquito net. Haha.

That's all for now.
Prayer requests: that I will be able to understand the Ugandans, their accent is strong and often it is hard to comprehend what they are trying to say...that Jenna and I will feel well rested each morning and have strength to make it through the day

3 comments:

  1. Awww Nan, dad will be so proud of you killing your own bugs!!! What an accomplishment. If that is the only thing that comes of your trip (which I am sure it won't)it will be well worth it to know that you can protect your own self from bugs :) I am happy to see your post and glad that you are doing well. Kiss those babies for me. You know 9 months old is my FAVORITE baby age. Love you bunches, mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Nancy!
    I'm so proud of you for killing your own bugs! I've killed three spiders all by myself thsi summer! I'm proud of myself too =), my dad probably is too! haha. that sounds like a big bug. It's neat that you are getting to know the babies...I hope you have plenty more enjoyable experiances with it!
    Jacklyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad all is well...how many babies do you want to bring home already? kim(mrs)smith don't know how I should sign these-hate the "mrs.smith"

    ReplyDelete