Saturday, June 6, 2009

A "Hot and Cold" Kind Of Day

Sigh....Thursday started out as such a great day. Jenna and I headed into town, laptops in tow, to Cafe Pap. I mentioned we were there in my last post, that was where the picture was taken. I enjoyed a chicken parmesan sandwich for lunch, a mocha and a fudge brownie. Mmmm! They have wireless internet there, 1 hour for 3000 schillings. It was wonderful. And that mocha was sooooo good!! A little taste of back home (I miss Ferris Coffee and Nut!!) After our cafe excursion, Jenna and I took a boda-boda to work. These are just taxi motorcycles, I guess that is the best way to describe them. They can be very dangerous, but Jenna and I were fairly close to the Baby Home and we knew the roads that we would be taking would not allow for fast or risky driving. It was fun! Such a great, relaxing afternoon.

Work, however, was a completely different story. We got to work a little before dinner time for the kiddos. I helped with the special needs. I was feeding Kevin. Now Kevin is either a very happy child or very angry. I had yet to witness angry Kevin. So I was feeding him, one bite at a time, nothing out of the ordinary. When all of a sudden, he freaked out. He grabbed my leg, bit it and then turned around and bit the nanny sitting behind him. Needless to say, the nanny was like, "Um. Let's leave Kevin alone for a minute. You can feed Nicole."
After all the babies were asleep, it was time for Jenna and I to start our final and most dreaded project for our night shift week....cleaning the kitchen. Now, Baby Watoto is the best baby home in Kampala, probably in all of Uganda. It is very clean, the children are well-dressed and have great toys to play with, the employees work hard and put their heart into everything they do for the babies. I am, in no way, trying to "bash" Baby Watoto. But the kitchen is not pretty. I'm sure it is just because we are in Uganda, bugs are everywhere and just a normal part of life. I went into the task with a serving heart and I just kept telling myself, "This is for God. This kitchen needs to be cleaned, and I am the hands to do it." I don't really know how to go into detail about how awful this job was, but I will say that THANKFULLY the only BIG cockroach we found was already dead. So...that's a plus! I got through it, alive and with a new perspective on what it means to be a servant :)
After cleaning the kitchen, Jenna and I decided that as a reward, we would cuddle some babies. I went to get my favorite little one, Phoebe. One whiff near her crib and I knew something had happened. I laid sleeping Phoebe on the changing table, unbuttoned her sleeper to find it and her completely covered in diarrhea.
Oh, Phoebe! It's a good thing I love her so much (just kidding, I would have done this for any of those babies!) Anyways, so I cleaned Phoebe all up, changed her and her sheets. During this, the supervisor comes in and tells me that Jenna and I's taxi driver, Robert, was taken by the police!! The police are really corrupt here. They aren't paid enough so they abuse their power and demand money from people. In "our" case, they told Robert that he could either give them money or they could frame him by saying he was waiting for a prostitute. Poor Robert!! He gave them some money and came back to pick us up.
So I had to give clean Phoebe over to a nanny and they got to cuddle her until she fell asleep (so jealous!) Once getting into the taxi, I realized that I had baby diarrhea all over me; we got to smell that all the way home. Mmmmm! Thanks Pheebs!
We got home around 12:20 and found that we were locked out of our guest house, even after we told them NOT to lock the door, we would be home late. So Jenna and I called two of the Adonai employees, but neither of them were in charge of the key. The one who was, didn't have his phone on. Of course. So we had to call John (a volunteer in the room next to us, who is working the morning shift and has to wake up at 5am) to come let us in.

What a day!

2 comments:

  1. Oh Nan!! Sorry about the poop. And, well, sorry about the getting locked out and the hard kitchen to clean and Kevin biting you. Holy Cow!! Good thing you started out with your Mocha and motorcycle ride even though you weren't the operator and only the passenger. I am proud of you Nan. God is using your cheerful spirit and your compassionate heart with those children. We love you and miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Nan. Here am I thinking you are "living it up" in watoto, playing and cuddling sweet happy babies all day long. This reminds me that you went to serve! You are doing awesome and always have the Heart of God on. Keep it up! There will be bad days, but hopefully the playing and cuddling days out number the diarrhea and cockroach ones.

    ReplyDelete