Saturday, June 13, 2009

Morning at Serena's


Today was Jenna and I's day off. We, along with 2 other volunteers, Mary-Ann and Evie, headed out to Serena's breakfast buffet. Serena's is a really nice hotel in downtown Kampala. The breakfast buffet is pretty expensive, and I wasn't initially planning on going. But one of the volunteers heard this, and paid for me to go! She said she felt she needed to bless someone who wasn't expecting it and God gave her this opportunity. I am so grateful!

We had such a great time! Each of us brought a baby. Evie brought Joy, who is 4 months old (on the far left in the picture.) Mary-Ann brought Ava, who is a 3 months old (the redhead next to me.) Jenna brought Mark and I brought Phoebe (of course!) We sat there from around 10:00 to 12:30. We had numerous people coming up to us asking if we had just adopted. It was tempting to say, "Yes!" but we decided it would be good to spread awareness about Watoto :)

Phoebe was wiped out by the time I brought her back; she had missed her morning nap and it was nap time when we got back. I fed her, swaddled her and laid her in her crib. I went and grabbed my bag (which is in the locker right next to Phoebe's crib) and by the time I turned around, she was fast asleep.

Phoebe LOVES to laugh and smile. It's absolutely adorable; I hope she keeps this trait through out her life. She is pretty crazy too. So full of energy! The little girl has stolen my heart. Even after just 5 weeks, I'm realizing how hard it is going to be to leave her!

Thank you all for praying! I have been doing MUCH better with not missing home. I do occasionally think about home, but more in the sense of HOW WEIRD it is going to be to be back there. And how I will have less than a month before I have to go back to school for R.A. training. It's going to be a huge adjustment to go from this life style, to the "R.A. lifestyle" in a month. Oh goodness. Please all bear with me when I'm not myself for that month. I MAY be an emotional
basket case.

I just read through this blog and realized how it's kind of all-over-the-place. Haha. Sorry!! I tend to do that.

Prayer Requests: Next week is going to be a week of BIG CHANGES. I'm not allowed to talk about them just yet (we were specifically asked to not blog about the upcoming events), but pray that the changes would be handled well and I would be able to adjust quickly. THANKS!

2 comments:

  1. That girl standing next to you looks like Madison Ziems!! Dad and I have been listening to Michael W. Smith's "A New Hallelujah" c.d. while we have been working at grandpa's and everytime the african childrens choir sings on it I think of you and shoot up a prayer. We have been working a lot and so I have been praying a lot. Love you Nan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahahaha, Nan, you are funny and reading your blog is funny, since I am with you. First of all, I think it's "Jenna's and my day off" or "me and Jenna's day off", but not Jenna and I's day off. I'm pretty sure. We can double check with Kelly on that one. Also, YOU being an emotional basket case is a hilarious thought to me. And you know why...all our discussions about emotional neutrality, etc. Hahahaha...I like reading your blog though because I feel like you don't voice a lot of the things you are feeling, etc...like about missing home and how much you love Phoebe, like I knew that to a certain extent, but not as much as you show on your blog. Which is fine, it's who you are :) Love ya, glad I'm here with you :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete