Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Anna

I first met Anna in Uganda, over a year ago. She arrived during my last couple of weeks there. By that time, I was spending all my "babies home time" with David and Patience. She was often sick, and spent a lot of time resting up to build strength for another long day. I believe we worked different shifts for those weeks that our time in Uganda overlapped. Needless to say, it wasn't an ideal environment for friendship to begin. Our relationship could have been best described as "fellow volunteers"
Mmm, grasshoppers!

I didn't have a picture of Anna and I together, but I did find one of our babies together, Lucas and Phoebe

Upon returning home, we both realized we had left a huge piece of our hearts in Uganda. We both longed to be back "home", looking through our pictures over and over again, reliving the memories, searching facebook and the internet for updated news on the little ones we loved.
But Anna's experience was different than mine. It is filled with heartache, tradegy and loss beyond belief.

Most of the children at The Bulrushes, Watoto's baby home, get the chance at growing up in a family. In a home with siblings and a mother. But there are the few whose lives are cut short and don't get that chance.
Little Lucas was one of those few. 
Anna was his only chance at having a mother.
She took the challenge on with reckless abandon and gave her Lukie-Lou all she had.
(You can read Anna's story on her blog: glittersmallworld.blogspot.com, and BONUS she is one of the most incredible writers! Her words will leave you breathless)
Lucas
Anna and her son
Anna is beautiful beyond words, both inside and out.
She took her hardship and brokenness and made it into something good.
She uses her God-given talent to share her little boy's story.
She shares his story with everyone, everywhere.
She is making a difference.

Anna is now in South Africa, (until at least January, maybe longer) working at a different babies home.
I love that. I love that even though her heart was so completely broken after her last trip to Africa, she still went back. I love that she didn't let her heartache keep her from God's plan for her.

Folding laundry...you can hardly find her in there!
Our friendship has grown into, and will continue to grow into, something beautiful. Something that can only be credited to the God we serve. Anna was the only one who truly understood my heart aching for Uganda. So many times I would read her blog and be left astounded and with tears streaming down my face. It was like my thoughts were being typed into words on her blog. Anna put it best when she said, "I think God has totally fashioned our hearts out of the same stuff..." It's so true. 

Anna, you inspire me. I am so beyond grateful for your friendship. Thank you for being exactly who you were created to be!

[Will you join me in praying for Anna? For her safety in South Africa, for her heart and for peace and comfort. For joy and happiness. And anything else you want to lift up for her! Also pray for her family and especially for her fiance David, who must be missing her terribly while she's away]

1 comment: