Wednesday, January 18, 2012

what's cookin' good lookin?

Ryan asked me that today. And I responded chicken.

Anyways, for the most part I enjoy cooking. I'm not the perfect homemaker [read: I have the hardest time keeping our apartment clean, I feel like it's a never (never NEVER) ending task...cleaning the apartment and it's just the two of us!] but I'm pretty good in the kitchen. Not to toot my own horn, haha.

When it comes to cooking dinner, I mostly just "wing it." I read a lot of different recipes and take parts of one and this from another and that from a picture I saw and mix it all together...and badda bing, badda boom, ya gotch yourself a fine meal.

Last week I made our favorite creation to date. It doesn't have a name. But it rocks, don't judge a book by it's title. Or something like that.
And it's pretty simple to make.

Here's a rough recipe if you want to try it...
Chicken
Chicken Broth
Mushrooms (fresh)
Baby Spinach (fresh)
Onion (fresh as well...but I don't think you can buy canned or frozen onion)
Tomatoes (I used canned diced tomatoes, but only because I had them on hand already)
Neufchatel Cheese

First, I thinly slice some onion and put them in a skillet on low heat with a small amount of chicken broth (like a tablespoon or two). Cover. Cook until the onions are translucent and softish.

Then I add sliced mushrooms (I cut up 7 for our meal, but I love mushrooms and could have easily added more) and baby spinach (almost half a bag, it seems like a lot but it cooks down) and a little more chicken broth (about 1/4 this time). Turn the heat up to medium. Cover and cook until spinach and mushrooms are well...cooked.
Before being cooked
Then I add diced tomatoes, not with all the juice though. I drain them but save the juice in case you need to add more (if it's not "saucy" enough). Cook for a few minutes. Then add between 1/3 and 1/2 of the brick of neufchatel cheese.


Let the cream cheese melt a bit, and stir it in the mixture.
In a separate pan, sear a chicken breast (I cook with pre-cut tenders, so I used 3 of those) and cut up to bite size pieces.
Add to sauce mixture, let it simmer for a bit.
Then spoon it onto some egg noodles, rice or quinoa, (egg noodles are the best) add a little side dish and voila! A lovely dinner!

1 comment:

  1. Whoa, nice cooking post, with pictures! Sounds delish! There are canned and frozen pearl onions, like little baby onions. They are super yummy in a stew.

    ReplyDelete