Wednesday, February 16, 2011

always rejoicing

I've started to read "Desiring God" by John Piper. I'm only 10 pages or so into it, so this is in no way a review of the book. When I was reading last night, a line struck me. A line taken from St. Paul.
Sorrowful, yet always rejoicing.

Sorrowful, yet always rejoicing.

Sorrowful. yet. always rejoicing.

I'm pretty certain that we are meant to be broken.
We are meant to have hearts that ache for the same things that ache God's heart.
We are meant to grieve and be sorrowful for those things.
We are meant to shed tears.

But that sorrow? It doesn't steal our joy.
The joy we find in the Lord.
We are to always be rejoicing.
Rejoicing in His never-ending mercy.
His never-ending blessings.
Always. Rejoicing.

Sorrowful, yet always rejoicing.
It really is that simple.

3 comments:

  1. Whoa Nan.....that is only my favorite website ever! I listen to John Piper all the time. www.desiringgod.org Glad you are reading his book. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy?

    NANCY?

    I didn't even know you had this blog! I am so out of the loop!

    Anyway, about this post: I hope you like the book! It changed my life (seriously), even though I can honestly say that I did not read the whole thing straight through. I skipped around a bit. John Piper can be hard to take in in large amounts, so beware! :) But I hope it speaks to you and you enjoy it. :)

    Miss you!

    K. Funk

    ReplyDelete