Tuesday, September 6, 2011

home decor

Since we've moved, I've been much more into decorating and making a rental apartment as "ours" as I can. I've been looking for various home decor and we've made a few trips to Ikea. But most of the time, I'm underwhelmed by most of it. I feel like everyone has the same stuff, and that by trying to decorate your space and making it your your own, it'll end up that you've made your place look like everybody else's. (I don't think it's proper English to end a sentence in "else's." Whoops.)

So I'm slowly decorating our place. I look for little bits and pieces at antique shops, thrift stores, flea markets and various stores around the city. I look for stuff that's a little more unusual and not so common. I look for stuff that I (we) like, and I don't care what other people think. I remember growing up and my mom would come home with the strangest things and use them to decorate and we'd all be like, "Mom! You can't leave that there!" And she'd be like, "I like it and that's all that matters! Nate Berkus says decorate with things you love." Well Mom, you were right.

Here's what I've done/got so far:
I had been looking for a glass dome for quite a while, and I spotted one hidden under a table at an antique store a few weeks ago. I was so thrilled! I bought it without even the slightest idea of what I was going to do with it. But it didn't take me long to figure out once I got home. I've been looking for an interesting way to decorate with my grandpa's old player piano rolls, so I knew that I was going to combine these for an awesome little display. Added some twine and WAA-LA! I absolutely LOVE how it turned out! (Not the greatest picture, but you get the idea)




I saw this globe at my favey-fave favorite thrift/vintage store. I didn't buy it right away, because I wasn't sure what I would do with it. I just knew I liked it. But that night, while I laid in bed unable to fall asleep, I had an idea. I said to Ryan, "I want to get a globe I saw today. And draw a picture of a bee." And he was like, "A bee? And I was like,"Yes. A bee. It'll be cool. I promise." And he was skeptical, as he always is, cause that does sound a little strange (ye of little faith.)

So Ryan went back and bought this globe for my birthday, then I ripped out a page from an old book that I had, drew a bee on it and framed it in this simple black frame.


That owl thing is a planter, just doesn't have a plant in it yet
And these are just some odds and ends that I've acquired. Mostly from my favorite thrift store or thrift/vintage store (they are different stores) and some from my mom (both given and stolen/borrowed). Some of them have found their home, but others are just randomly placed on our shelves. Haha. It'll all come together.

(Side Story: While I was at the thrift store, buying that little Michigan sign thing, guess who I saw!! JAY FREAKING MCCARROLL!! (For all you non-project runway followers, he's the winner from the first season.) I've also seen him at my favorite fabric store. I didn't say anything to him then, but I promised myself that the next I ran into him I would say something. And then I saw him and I essentially freaked out. My mind was a complete blank. I was with my friend, Beth, and she was laughing at me because I'm so pathetic. That's all. Oh, except, I think Jay McCarroll and I should be friends. I mean, we shop at the same fabric AND thrift stores. What are the odds? The whole "I can't speak when you're around thing" would just be hurdle that we'd have to get over.)

And at some point...I want to do this...

PAINT A PIANO A BRIGHT AND FUN COLOR!! I have "the rights" to my grandpa's piano, which my parents are holding onto for me right now. So when I can eventually have it in my own home, I might try this. We'll see. The piano is pretty special to me, and I don't know if I'll be brave enough to paint it. But how awesome do those pianos look? Isn't that fun?

4 comments:

  1. You are so creative! I love you and love the ideas that you come up with to decorate our apartment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tssssss, how cute are you guys? And I love your style Nance, I can't wait to come see your place myself. Oh, and I have ALWAYS wanted to hang plates on my wall like in that last piano picture. Every time I go to Treasure Mart I look for plates and hopefully one day I'll have enough to hang them in a decorative array : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah for pictures! I can't believe I'm two days late in seeing them. I thought I checked everyday.

    When I first scrolled down and glanced at the white owl I thought it was a pair of whitey tighties. Yikes.

    You're so cute that you are decorating. I don't decorate, it scares me. Someday I'll have to. I love all your stuff, especially the piano rolls.

    I've been trying to decide what to do with my "grandpa piano" and one of my ideas was to paint it and which Dad and Ernie both cringed. I love those painted pics, they look fabulous.

    I saw a lady stocking shelves at Meijer yesterday in pigtails. I thought of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and LOVE the bee! How very talented are you!

    ReplyDelete