Wednesday, January 19, 2011

things that make [slash would make] me happy

1.Sewing projects
I've just finished my 3rd sewing project! A silvery tunic. I absolutely love how it turned out!
Isn't that bow just the cutest? I love it.
My 1st project was a neuro kit roll-up for Ryan. Not to toot my own horn, but it turned out great as well.
My 2nd project was an apron. But I had to put it on hold because In order to finish it, I have to get a few inches of elastic for the tops of the pockets. So, it's just sitting on top of my fabric box for now.


2. My boots
 These are my favorite shoes. And to think I almost passed up those purple boots because I didn't want to spend any money (Thanks again, Mom!)

3. Recent vintage purchases
One of my favorite vintage stores in the city had an "exclusive, invitation only" sale last week. I only phrase it that way because that's what the sign on the door said. And maybe because it makes me sound a lot more important than I actually am. I was simply on their email list. But still, the sale rocked my face off because everything in the store was only $5!! The dresses in that store normally start at $40 and can get up to over $100. So...I was super excited.
I got an ivory corduroy men's suit vest (for me, not Ryan), a brick red/orange sweater vest, a plaid red/grey high waist skirt (all from 1970's), a few skinny ties for Ryan (1960's) and a blue/purple paisley dress which screams 1980's. I'm not exactly sure how I'm gonna wear that one yet. Cause I have to be sure I'm not channeling something like this:
Yikes.

4. This area of our apartment
 I love our living room here. I especially love our fireplace area. I love those tin canister/jugs that my mom loaned to me for a while, our hand carved wood figurine made by my sister's boyfriend as a wedding gift, our silvery "S", my grandpa's frame sheet music, pictures of our siblings, the awesome original artwork we received as a wedding gift from some friends...I just love how it all comes together. And how it looks with our furniture and re-done thrifted coffee table. Our living room is just awesome, what can I say.

5. TJ's Lava Cakes
No, I didn't take this picture. But only because the one I did take is already on my external hard-drive (hardrive? harddrive? hard drive?).

Anyways, chocolate lava cakes are only the. best. dessert. ever. Fight me on it, I don't care. They will always come out on top. And $2.79 for two little pieces of heaven? Sounds good to me!
 

6. These shoes

Kegerries by Aldo.
Hi. I'm in love with them.
When I saw these in the window of Aldo, I froze. Then drooled. And decided that I needed them. But the "need them" where you just want them really, really, really bad and will wait until they go on super sale and hope they have your size. And then when they don't, you cry, but still live. That kind of "need them."
So...if anyone wants to get a jump start on a birthday present...here ya go. I'll take them in dark brown or cognac, size 6, please. Thank you!

7. This dog.
Isn't he just the cutest? I want him. To hug him and squeeze him and call him my squishy. And pet him and teach him tricks and take him for walks and to keep me company.
Feel free to buy him for me, as well as those Kegerries, and make me the happiest girl in the world [maybe, how do you even begin to verify a statement like that?]

8. This Man.
Because he is living exactly how I think Christ wants us to live and love. Incredible. Incredible. Incredible. I love it.
"Everybody has got 5.5 liters of blood. I am just a human being. For me, everybody is the same. There are thousands and thousands, lots of people suffering. What is the ultimate purpose of life? It is to give."

I.   love.    it.

8 comments:

  1. LOVE your silvery tunic!! It turned out REALLY cute!! Also love the neuro kit-how great that everytime he opens it up he can think of you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the tunic and kit thingy. Love the mantle (you have a picture of ME? how sweet.) Don't love the clothes and aldo shoes, but that's you and I love that your you. Never had that dessert, not sure how I feel about a cake with a runny middle, hmmm. Loved every second of the video. Why can't everyone be this way? Why can't I be that way? Ahhh, sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nancy... did you know how to sew before you got your sewing machine? Because that tunic is aweeeesome. I am so jealous of your skills. All I sew are pillowcases and coasters. haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you buy those cakes at the store? Looks like they came in a package and not ordered from a restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mom (Smith), thank you! I'm so proud of it!

    Emily, you NEED to have a chocolate lava cake like RIGHT NOW.

    Meg, I did know how to sew before, nothing fancy though. I had an awesome vintage sewing machine that Ryan bought at The Rustic, but it broke. But you could make a tunic like that as well. It was super easy.

    Mom (Sannes), you can buy them at the store when your grocery store is Trader Joe's :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nancy!

    I hope it isn't weird that one of your former residents is now reading your blog, but I love it! I just got reintroduced to the blogging world because I started my own travel blog to record my adventures while in Spain. I leave next SUNDAY!!!

    I remember reading your blog about your African adventures and how moving your stories and experiences were. I was just talking to Meg yesterday about a lecture I went to at Calvin that featured Jessica Jackley, cofounder of Kiva. Meg mentioned that you incorporated Kiva into your wedding. That's awesome! Listening to Jessica's story was very moving and Kiva is a wonderful program.

    Anywho, I hope you're doing well and enjoying Philadelphia. Also, keep up your wonderful posts! I love reading them : )

    -Kristina Pantoja

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nancy!

    What a great post. I can't believe you made that tunic. It's adorable! You are so talented. If I tried to make something I would probably mess it up really bad and then just sew an attractive belt onto my already attractive leopard print snuggie. Point is, you're awesome. Good job with all that sewing.

    Those shoes--O.M.G. I have been looking at those for months and David thinks they're ugly but I love them and I think one day, just maybe, I will buy them. Who knows.

    That video was incredible. I love that little man. He brought tears to my eyes (and it's no easy feat to bust through my emotionless soul--not true. I tear up at commercials. I'm a big softy these days).

    Anyway, I love you. And your blog. So please keep the thoroughly entertaining(and heartwarming) posts coming.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh. My. Goodness. Nancy. You are such a good seamstress!!! I LOVE THAT SILVER TUNIC THING!!!!!! And those shoes and your boots and that man and the chocolate lava cake and your living room! I LOVE IT ALL SO MUCH. WE ARE SOUL MATES.

    ReplyDelete