Sunday, January 9, 2011

what we did in philly

We started this weekend off by going out with some of Ryan's classmates to Alma de Cuba. They go out to a different place every weekend to try out various happy hour specials. Typically the same people pick the places to go, and they are generally pretty pricey, so we rarely go with them. We're looking forward to the day when "happy hour" actually means $2 beers and cheap nachos. But whatever. Back to Alma de Cuba...

I got sangria, and it was not very good. It had like bricks of cinnamon in it. No joke. I finished the drink and there was like rocks of cinnamon in the bottom of it. Sicknasty. Ryan had a "classico" mojito, and he said it was alright. We split the sliders appetizer, which was still overpriced during happy hour. AND they didn't come with fries or chips or a pickle or ANYTHING. What kind of business is this place running? I mean seriously.
Don't be fooled, they look much better than they actually were

We went out for lunch on Sunday at Darlings Cafe. Darlings is just around the corner from our apartment and we've been meaning to try it for some time now. They have won so many awards, so we thought we were in for a gooooood meal.

Oh but, suprise! It was nasty. And CRAZY overpriced. Member that one time we paid $20 for ONE waffle, a kid-sized chicken wrap and a small hot chocolate? Oh yeah. Thanks for that, Darlings.

Ryan had the Herb Roasted Chicken Wrap. Like I said, it was way too small and not very good. Oh and also, Ryan is really good at making pictures awkward, in case you couldn't tell.

I had the Wake-up Call Waffle, minus the cinnamon whipped cream and chocolate drizzle and undercooked, like mostly all mushy batter. Not because I ordered it that way, but because that's how Darlings served it. Excuse me while I barf. Yep, it was that good. I also got a "real" hot chocolate. Apparently "real" hot chocolate must be lousily steamed milk and Hershey's syrup (yes, milk can be steamed lousily. Yes, I am a snob.)
[I wasn't even going to upload this picture, because I look so sick and lop-sidey, but I thought it was an accurate picture of how good Darlings was.]

So, in summary, what we did in Philly was much less exciting and much more expensive than expected.

3 comments:

  1. Nancy. How did your hair get long? Haha. I know you can't tell in this photo, but I was looking at your other photos...and your hair is really long and I don't ever remember that happening. Haha, I guess that's how little we can see each other :( sadness.
    Anyway, it looks really pretty...you look really pretty!
    Love to you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh bummer! But way to go out and explore. Someday you'll find that perfect cheap yummy place that no one else knows about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenna and I were reading at the same time, weird

    ReplyDelete